Friday, January 9, 2009

Traditional Mayan Yoot Kene Massage

Have you ever had your belly massaged? I don't know about you, but my dogs get more belly rubs than I do. This treatment was so different from anything I have ever done. I liked it so much, I had 3 treatments done while I was at the Maya Tulum Resort. The masseuse was a midwife, and so, she had a lot of knowledge about the reproductive organs. In fact, she noticed my uterus was low, which she said happens from lifting heavy items or from a serious fall. The amazing thing is that she lifted my uterus back into place, and it didn't hurt, but I did feel a lot of pressure. Now, I am being so careful about lifting heavy things, so that my uterus stays in place.
As described at the Maya Tulum Resort, the Yoot Kene massage is also known as the Sobada Maya, an incredible healing form developed by the ancient Maya. It acknowledges the importance of the navel region as the body’s "power center". This is a full body massage, however, specific attention will be given to the readjustment of the internal abdominal organs. This deep belly massage will have an amazingly profound and lasting effect on your digestive system creating a deep sense of well-being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I too have experienced the Yoot Kene at Maya Tulum. I attend a women's yoga retreat there with my friends every year in November. It's an amazing place!
My massage was given by Leo, who was taught the Mayan massage as handed down through his ancestors. It was incredible! It was painful for me, very much so, and emotional - I released so many old feelings and pain that helped me open up and leave behind the pain of the past. I was disappointed that I didn't experience this massage earlier in my visit rather than the last full day there. This year I'll be seeing a lot more of Leo!
I haven't been able to find anything like it here. I did go to a local massage therapist/midwife who has trained under Rosita Arvigo in Belize. This was a very soothing massage, but no where near the same experience.