Thursday, December 11, 2008

Acupuncture - A Complementary Therapy

Once per month, I go for an acupuncture session, and I have to say, I look forward to that session every time. I discovered acupuncture back in 2003, and it has been one of the most amazing therapies I have experienced since yoga. In fact, I think it is a great compliment to yoga in that it works on the energy and balance of the whole body.
On Tuesday of this week, I went for my monthly acupuncture session. It was so relaxing that I fell asleep during the session, and forgot where I was. In fact, at one point, when I woke up, I thought I was in my meditation room in savasana. Woops!
More and more, I have been recommending acupuncture to friends, family, and students, to use as a complementary therapy to yoga or western medicine. I think there is nothing to lose in trying it at least once. In fact, I think there is a lot to gain from an acupuncture session.
The only negative thing to acupuncture is that you can't stay forever. It is always hard to leave, as I want to experience that relaxing state forever. Also remember that more and more health insurances are starting to pay for acupuncture or at least offer flexible spending accounts to use towards this therapy. I highly recommend it! Give it a try.

No comments: